My Children, I believe In My Children

Ron - Rockville, Maryland

THIS I BELIEVE

I believe in children. In particular, I believe in my children.

My children aren’t perfect, although they approach it. They don’t carry the burden solving the problems of American democracy, although they might do so. My children carry my gene pool. When all is said and done, that’s all I’ve got.

Like many deeply held beliefs there is an element of faith in mine. I have the faith that these children are mine. I accept that on the credibility of their mother, who I think has never lied to me. And besides, they look somewhat like me. Somewhat like me, a lot like their mother.

My children have multiple middle names. I thought this would give them flexibility when they wanted to chose a more suitable first name. Multiple middle names are rare but not unique. If it’s good for the Windsor boys, its good enough for the Levin boys and girls.

The Levin girl and the Levin boy have their own titles. My son is known as Best Son. My daughter is known as ‘Best Daughter and Second Best Son’.

One Thanksgiving I was in the final stages of preparation, as usual the bird was so underdone that it was clucking while guests were already through their second drink and getting hungry and clamorous. In our household, Thanksgiving guests are known as “orphans”, people who cannot get back to their families for the holiday. As I bustled one said: ”Ron, the depth of your love for your children isn’t established by the quality of the Thanksgiving turkey.

And of course he was right.

My children know that I love them, a broadly encompassing love that excludes action that would spoil them. I have done so much for them, and I ask for just little in return. Grandchildren. Small gifts, but I would consider the accounts in balance for grandchildren. Anytime in the next decade. But the family watch words are: In our family we don’t make babies before we are married. So I will have to wait to see my grandchildren. Some of their genes will be mine. But that’s the best I can count on.