Deborah - Brownsburg, Indiana

The Best Two Hundred Dollars I ever Spent

Why my Mother never said NO

Last September, despite all the economic loss in our economy, I spent the best two dollars that I ever had. Yes, I saved a small black kitten who I named Middy for Midnight!

I grew up with a love of animals, which my mother said was a gift from my grandfather, who also shared that love. I remember obtaining our boxer dog and then remember being surrounded by everyone when I crawled into 1957 Mercury and pushed the neutral button, the car was in our steep driveway in order to let the garage air out from an accident the new puppy had. As I was only three, I guess my brother and I were playing and he saw me crawl in the car and there the car went down the drive and hit the curb and then my parent’s other car. Yes at three I wrecked two cars. I just remember a scrap on my back and that was it. My boxer dog always got in trouble because he was just too friendly, yes everyone had to obtain a fresh kiss and slobber but he loved us and would do anything to protect the entire family. Then the cats came, yes plenty all reused. My mom would be firm, but one by one they came and she never said NO. One showed up at the clothes line in the back yard and was in the house in a matter of days. He had been abandoned. The pet of a life time was White Sox who had such an outgoing personality if a person she could have been president. We she passed both a parents said she was a pet of a lifetime. Yes no pet would ever be another Soxie.

My parents have their cat Lacey and have Angle, a beautiful long haired black and white cat rescued from sure death at a shelter, but by age two I noticed she was different. As time went on it was clear that she had a panic attack disorder. The Vet School confirmed it and both of us learned to cope, but I did not think I could have another pet. A co-worker had a stray cat come to the house and her parents would not let it stay. The ultimatum was made she was upset, so I said I would come in early the next day and I would take the kitten to my home and to the vet, but would probably have to search for a home due to Angel’s panic attacks.

The next day, there she was a perfect black kitten with a thin face and copper eyes who talked just like Sox, yes a miracle happened another White Sox without the white paws. She would talk to you follow you everywhere. The vet visit was two hundred dollars, and Angel had a nervous breakdown and ran away under a bush by the garage. I called several veterinarian offices and one knew of some one who wanted a four to five month old kitten. They came and stated they probably would want her but wanted to have me finish here worming medicine. No call back was made then the call came that they were on the way. I cried so hard and called my mom stating they were going to take Middy. Then I knew why she never told me NO, the love of animals was a part of me and yes it was worth going to work twice that morning and the two hundred dollar vet bill that day. In fact the family had a kitten and wanted another one so they would have each other. Middy had Muffin and my love forever.