opposites can be friends

Gabby - Western Springs, Illinois

If you know me and the people I hang out with, you can see that we are nothing alike. We each have our own “style”, like different music, and we are all completely different.

Some may wonder how I can hang out with people who I have almost nothing in common with. Yes, at times it is hard to relate to some of them, but I wouldn’t trade them for the world. People also might wonder how we even started hanging out. When I was in elementary school, I found out a girl in my grade lived less than a block away from me. We started walking to school together from that day on. Then, we had so much in common. We had the same teacher, we liked the swings, and we went over to each other’s houses to play Barbie’s whenever possible. Every day at recess we would run to the swings to see the same girls trying to swing as high as they could. Everyone sat and waited their turn. This is where I met all my other friends. We sat and watched everyone jumping from what seemed like 100 feet in the air, to see who could go the farthest. Though, the years went on, friends came and left, but I always walked to school with the same girl. When we went on to middle school, I separated from all of my swing friends. After awhile, though, I realized that I didn’t need and new friends, the ones from elementary school were the only people I could see myself hanging out with. One day I decided to sit at lunch with them. It was a little awkward at first; it wasn’t because I didn’t know anyone, but because we haven’t actually hung out in what seemed like forever. It seemed like a lot had changed. Not so much between us, but our personalities, our likes and dislikes changed. It didn’t take long though for us to start hanging out on a daily basis. Middle school went on and we each found different hobbies but we still remained best friends, no matter how weird it was. When graduation started coming up, we all thought that there was no way we could still be friends. We thought that we would each find our own click. It was strange just thinking about not hanging out with the people I was with everyday. High school started and it didn’t take long for us to know that no matter how different we are or become we will still be best friends.

Throughout the years I have grown to believe that no matter how different people are they can still be friends. You don’t have to be just like someone to get along with them. Though at times it seems like I get asked how I can hang out with people that I have nothing in common with, I just shrug and say, how can I have it any other way?