I believe there’s a deep connection that lies between twins.

Taylor - Brookfield, Illinois

I believe there’s a deep connection that lies between twins; so much more than what’s seen in a relationship between siblings. Our passions, our thoughts, even our emotions can be so similar it’s as though we were one soul divided into two bodies. To some, a sibling is just someone you come home to after school and have the occasional argument with. With my twin, Sam, it’s plenty more. I can easily consider her one of my best friends. Like with your own best friends, you’re always having a good time; singing, dancing; even sharing secrets. That’s exactly how I am with my twin. I find myself defending her in arguments between her and our mom. I’ll know she’s wrong, but somehow I’ll manage to find a way around it. There’s never been an entire day where I’ve been mad at her. Is this because we’re twins? I’m not entirely sure. There are even times where we share some kind of telepathic connection, nothing extreme, but we share minor experiences that cannot be explained. There could be complete silence, and yet I attempt to sing a song. As soon as I sing at least three words, Sam will say something such as “I was just thinking of that song.” This specific occasion may have had occurred to many, but we find ourselves doing this quite often. We think so alike. If I see something that reminds me of certain something, it usually does to her as well. There’s also been a few times where I was thinking about her, and the phone rings and it’s her on the other line. When we were younger, I was the only one who could translate what she would say; not even our own mother could. This still occurs today if one of us mumbles a sentence or two. We tend to often finish each other’s sentences. It can be looked into more seriously as we compare emotions. If I dare see her with a sad look on her face, I immediately find myself becoming saddened. I cannot help it. It’s like whatever she had just faced, I did as well. I always know when something is wrong, whether or not she denies it. Or perhaps I see her fall, I do not exactly feel the pain, but I begin to flinch, anxiously awaiting the pain. To test all of this theory of twin telepathy, I called her over. I grabbed her hand and I told her to concentrate. We closed our eyes and I said ‘Imagine a black background and floating is a yellow, bolded number. This specific number screams out to you. What is the number you see?’ After both picturing this number in our minds, she replies with the number eight. I couldn’t help but to freak out because that was the number I was thinking of as well. I guess you can my tiny experiment proved some sort of connection between twins. Don’t get me wrong, things like this does not happen all the time, but we find ourselves being in these situations quite a lot.