Music is my Life

Andrew - Western Springs, Illinois

Music is my Life

“Music makes pictures and often tells stories, all of it magic, and all of it true, and all of the pictures and all of the stories, all of the magic, the music is you.” (John Denver)

This quote is from a song by one of my favorite singers, John Denver. I believe that music is essential to having a happy and fulfilled life. It has always been my opinion that music is the spice of life, and that it is the story of mine. I have always been partial to music.

Even when I was young I’m told, I sung quite a lot. I have sung in choirs since first grade, but the first time I realized that music was what I wanted to devote my life to was in seventh grade. In seventh grade, my school was going to put on Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and I was reluctant to audition. Ultimately I did, and I was cast as Joseph, much to my surprise. I was a lot more shy back then, and I didn’t believe I had this talent that everyone said I did. This was the first play I had ever tried out for, you see. In that same year, I was asked to join the parish choir and to become a cantor at my church. Just this past year I was asked to participate in another production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, and I reprised my role of Joseph. Back in seventh grade, after finding out that I had this talent, I did some serious thinking about my future, and decided that I wanted to be a music teacher. Music makes my life have more purpose, and it gives me a reason to work toward my goals. I believe that this is why music is essential for me. This is so because I feel I would be unhappy in any other field of employment. Also, I believe that in being a music teacher I will be able to spread my joy in music to others, and in turn, help others to feel the joy that I feel by it. I believe that music is a way to express emotion in a method that is more subtle and sincere, and I believe that it is more figurative than words alone.

As I felt joy at being asked to join the “adult” choir when in seventh grade, or when being asked to join the production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat that I did this past fall, I hope that others too may feel the pure joy that I feel when I listen to or make music. That music is essential to having a happy and fulfilled life, this I believe.