I Believe in Mistakes

Frank - Brookfiled, Illinois

“When you make a mistake, don’t look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power” (Hugh White). One thing I was brought up to believe was to learn from your mistakes. When you are a teen, you will make many mistakes, but these mistakes might not be bad if you learn something from them. Teens think they can do anything, they are invincible. Teens think that no one will find out what they are doing, but the fact is, someone always finds out. Depending on the severity of the action, you might get in trouble or you might not, but, something is always learned to make you smarter.

One thing I have learned from mistakes is just tell your parents the truth. No matter what, they will most likely find out if you lie to them, so just tell them the truth. One day, a couple of my friends and I slept over at another friends house. Instead of staying there like I told my parents I was, my friend and I decided to sneak over and sleep at a girl’s house because her parents were not home. That was not the smartest thing I could do. The night was fine, but, in the morning when my friend and I left, we saw her dad in the drive way. We were not sure if it was her dad, but, we were worried. I got home and tried to leave my house as fast as possible, but, as I was showering, my mom and dad talked to her dad. That day, my friends had free tickets to six flags and because of my stupidity, I was not able to go. Also, because of this I lost some of my really good friends and will never be as close as we once were.

I did get in trouble for this event, but, eventually my parents and I were able to make light of it. I am glad this event happened and I did learn from my mistake now I will always think before I do something I know is wrong. My parents trust me once again and I am friends with those people again, but now, I will not lie to my parents, rather, I will just tell them the truth and convince them from there.