Determination

Christine - LaGrange, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

My brother, Jack, was born with a hearing loss. I did not understand what that would do to him socially and emotionally, that is, until he started getting older. When other children would start talking, he said nothing. He received hearing aids when he turned two. He is now three, and still is not talking very much. He says small words like ball, mom, and yes please. His hearing is still slowly declining, he could go completely deaf at any time in his life. He does often get frustrated when we don’t know what he wants, but is starting to get much better.

My little brother, in a way, is an inspiration to me. My family and I nicknamed him ‘Jack-Jack’, from the movie “The Incredible’s”. There are two reasons behind that; one is because he loves that movie, and the second is because he really is like a miniature Mr. Incredible. He thinks of himself as a normal three year old. He wrestles with my five year old brother, and most of the time, wins. Jack goes to a special school for deaf and hearing impaired kids, and has made so many friends. He is the happiest kid in the world when he arrives at school every morning – giving all of his school friends a hug when possible. It’s amazing to think that a three year old goes to school five days a week for 6 ½ hours a day, without a nap, and yet when he comes home from school, he is always so excited to show everyone what he is learned.

I believe, that everything bad thing in the world has a purpose, and out of it, comes many good things. People are not given an obstacle unless God thinks they can handle them.

Having a hearing problem has never held him back it has only made him more determined to be great at whatever he does. Every person that has anything that they see as an ‘issue’ or a ‘problem’ should think of all the good things that have come out of it, how many people they meet because of it, or how much stronger they have become. No one should see something that happens to them as something bad that has happened, but as an obstacle that they can overcome and succeed at.