I Believe in Weirdness

Kristen - La Grange, Illinois

I believe that being weird is completely normal. What? You don’t? Okay that’s fine, but you have to agree with this then: I believe that your weird is my normal. If you see someone in the hallway randomly burst into dance or song, your response is most likely “That was weird”. But if you saw me do that, you’d probably just say “Oh it’s Kristen again”. I do unusual things all the time and never find anything weird about them. For instance, I’ll go through whole days speaking in different dialects. Christmas break, it was a mix between someone from the Bronx and Mickey Mouse. Yesterday, I attempted a British accent and even exhausted myself! Those accents I use too, they’re not even any good according to my family, but they sound fantastic in my head! My personal favorite type of weirdness is bursting into song. After my sister was in the production of Into the Woods, all I did was quote the play in the off-key of C. I know every line including all the songs. That play is weird enough without me giving my own spin on it. And trust me on this one; it is extraordinarily weird! However, I don’t mind being weird, or in my case, normal. If I weren’t strange or different, I think my parents would believe me to be ill. My friends are accustomed to it by now. Though there are still a few conformists whom I can embarrass. I do know when to knock it off; I am always respectfully uninhibited. I exercise restraint in all of my behavior. I haven’t unleashed my inner Jim Carey yet.

I also believe that it is not that I’m any weirder than any of you, it’s just that I’m not embarrassed to express my weirdness publicly. I bet you that secretly, everyone can attest to being weird, but if they were to show that side of him or her in front of people they don’t feel comfortable around, they would feel awkward. I let all of my worries about what people will say disappear and act like myself. I am weird. Get over it!