Giving Hope

Reese - LaGrange, Illinois

I believe that the first song you hear in the morning could determine your whole day. I know it seems silly, letting two or three minutes of music effect your day, but it does. Whether the first song I hear is fun and energizing, or brings back memories, that one song effects my morning, which then effects my whole day.

I turn my ipod on shuffle every morning while getting ready for school, so the song is chosen randomly, and how my day will go is too. I always have a special song in mind that I would like to hear, but I believe if that one song out of hundreds is chosen to play, then my day will turn out great.

For example about a week ago I turned on my ipod and a fun upbeat song by the Counting Crows came on. This song didn’t have any sentimental meaning to me but it definitely woke me up and got me ready for the rest of the day. On top of that I made myself breakfast, (which I rarely do) and did well on my chemistry test. Everything on that one day just seemed relatively stress free and relaxing.

On the other hand if a depressing song or one that brings back bad memories comes on, then my day just seems to go downhill from there. Not only do I hear that same song in my head for the rest of the day, I also focus on the past rather than the present. I remember the hurtful times, when I would play that one song over and over to comfort me, on the disappointing or tragic things that had happened. I feel myself not wanting to try in school, but rather just sleep. I’m not very talkative because all my thoughts are glued to that one song and its meaning. Sometimes my day can perk up if I get good news or my friends make me laugh, but most of the time it’s just not the best day.

I know this doesn’t apply for everyone, I guess it applies to me because I let it. I let myself think whatever song comes on determines how the rest of my day will turnout. It’s kind of like my own little fortune cookie, except I don’t have to buy Chinese food to receive it. Mostly, I just like letting something give me hope for everyday.