I Believe In Everlasting Relationships

Annaliese - LaGrange, Illinois

Everyone has those friends that just seem to fade away. Conversations become fewer and fewer, interactions just become waves when passing by. That person is still considered a friend but starts growing in a different direction.

When I moved from my hometown, I was scared this might happen to some of my closest friends. My family told me that I would make new friends. Agreeing with them, I knew I would make new friends but I still failed to see why I couldn’t keep my old friends. I was scared to death of them fading away, connections slowly being lost. At least a few times a week, I made sure I e-mailed my closest friends. I promised myself that I would try to keep in contact. After awhile the e-mails were sent less, about once a week.

Last year, I was waiting for my bus and was bored because my siblings and I had run out of things to talk about. There was still about fifteen minutes before the bus was scheduled to come. I turned to my phone’s address book, calling number after number with no one answering. Finally I dialed one of my old friend’s number. I had not talked to her in over six months because she did not have an e-mail address. To my surprise, she picked up. At first, I was not sure what to say to her. I had never talked to someone after half a years worth of no communication. Asking how she was, I found out what was new with her. By then it was like it had only been a couple of days since we had last spoken. It was a nice conversation and then I knew that losing friends was a lot harder than my family had made it sound.

I believe in everlasting relationships. Many people are afraid to make that call with an old friend with whom it has been ages since last speaking with. There is always the potential for awkward silences but at least it is apparent that the relationship is fading. Once making the call, it is often surprising that the relationship thought to have faded, did not faded at all. I continue to hold myself to this belief with most of my friends.

Even now, I e-mail and call my old friends often and see them once in a while. I saw my friends, Steph and Juliaclare both during this past winter break. After some catch up it is like it had always been. Yes, somethings have changed, that was bound to happen, but it makes the relationship stronger. We still have many things in common like music and also likes and dislikes. Therefore, even after long periods of time, we find the niche where it is as if we still see each other five times a week like we use to.

I would just like to say one last thing concerning everlasting relationships–they are important. If I did not have my friends who had known me through some of the more trying times of my life, I would miss a large part of my identity. I wholeheartedly thank my friends for letting me continue a somewhat long distance relationship with them.