What I Believe

Hillary - Bristol, Connecticut

What I Believe

The subject of the meaning or purpose of life is personal and individual, based on teachings, heritage and experiences. My interpretation of God’s purpose for every individual is based on my family life and how I was raised. I believe God has a plan and a purpose for each person and that each person is given more than one chance to achieve that purpose and live their life according to God’s plan. In addition, there is “hell” for those whose who never accomplish this task. Finally, God is the King of Heaven and he decides when a person dies and if that person has achieved their purpose in life.

God has a secret purpose and plan for each person, revealing only small amounts of clues through life. The responsibility of each person is to recognize the clues, ask for guidance to God’s path, and allow the hand of God to reveal his ways. According to the Dalai Lama, author of “The Art of Happiness”, “…each individual should embark upon a spiritual path that is best suited to his or her mental disposition, natural inclination, temperament, belief, family, and cultural background” (Lama 132). It all sounds easy and simplistic but actually it is not. Life is full of trials; disappointments, crime, hate, envy, and all that is negative. God expects each person to learn from these trials and turn towards him. It is what each person does with these negativities that matters to God. Some people become cold, mean, and negative as a result of their trials and commit crimes instead of turning to God. They let the negativity of life on Earth to take control.

Others will turn to God once and then forget him, letting the negativity to slowly move in and take control. Only a few people can honestly live exactly as God expects, that is why God is so forgiving. Again, it is what each person does with their trials that matters. The Dalai Lama explained this best when he stated, “…be a good human being, a sensible human being, with a sense of responsibility and commitment for a better happier world” (Lama 135).

God is a forgiving God and allows more chances to “get it right”. I believe that once a person has expired, their soul is given an interview with God. At this interview, God will discuss what happened and how the person handled their life. He will make the person accountable for their actions at this time. If the person did not follow God’s destiny, then they will either be given another chance or they will go to Hell for eternity. If the person accomplished God’s goal, then they get to go to Heaven. When God gives another chance, the person (their soul) will be reborn in another body to live another life on Earth. I believe a person is given at least three chances, or three lives on earth to follow God’s plan. There could actually be more chances for the willing, but I am not sure. I am sure however, God will not give chances to those who do not seek him or do not believe in him, and for those people, Hell is inevitable.

Finally, I believe that God is all powerful and all knowing, the king of Heaven, the creator of all living and non living things. I agree with Tom Paine, author of “What I Believe” when he wrote, “I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life” (Paine 100). I am content with my beliefs and hope for happiness and a life everlasting in heaven when I die.

Works Cited

Lama, Dalai. The Art of Happiness. ED. Igor Webb. Ideas Across Time. Boston: McGraw-Hill. 2008. (132-35).

Paine, Tom. What I Believe. ED. Igor Webb. Ideas Across Time. Boston: McGraw-Hill. 2008. (123-30).