It’s Only Natural

Melissa - Omaha, Nebraska
Themes: gratitude, nature

I believe nature is a gift which should be appreciated daily.

I am surrounded by technology each and every day. Computers, mp3 players, cell phones, the Internet…..The list goes on and on. I work with most of these items every day, nearly everyone does. It is very difficult to escape the corded noose that technology has placed around everyone’s necks. I have learned to cut this tether from my neck.

I used to be immersed in technology. I wanted the newest and greatest gadgets. I wanted an mp3 player, so I was given one four years ago as a gift. I used it for a few weeks, and then it became a dust-collecting device. I wanted high-speed Internet. I have a subscription through my cable provider. It works great, but it becomes boring after only 30 minutes of surfing. It is not fulfilling and does not allow me to use my imagination.

I have family members who are immersed in technology. My brother-in-law is a “technology geek.” He has to have the best and newest gadgets as soon as they appear on the market. Every time we see him, he flashes his newly purchased items at my husband and me. I just smile, for I know something that even he, with his triple-digit yearly salary, does not know. I know that the items he has purchased will become obsolete very soon, almost as soon as they were put on the market. He will then have to spend even more money just to keep up with the ever-changing technological environment.

Nature does not become obsolete. I do not need a battery pack or an AC adaptor to enjoy the gifts with which nature has provided me. I take time out of my day each day to take in the natural things. I enjoy watching the sunrise from my office each morning as it breaks over the eastern horizon and look forward to watching the sunset at home. I listen to the birds singing, the wind rustling through tree branches. I notice how, in the winter time, the bare branches of most deciduous trees have such an amazing architectural scheme. I notice things that most people would not, such as how a newly fallen snow appears to be a million crystals ground up into a very fine powder, shimmering in the pale winter sunlight. Many people I know begrudge a new snowfall due to the numerous shoveling backaches it can provide. Not me. I think it is beautiful.

Nature has provided so many gifts and wonders. I make certain each and every day to appreciate them. I unplug myself from my laptop and appreciate what has been provided to me, free of charge, no subscription required. I would much rather take a walk through a botanical garden than the nearby electronics store. For me, music to my ears is listening to a robin sing its spring song instead of listening to the latest Top 40 hits on an mp3 player.