Asha - New Hope, Minnesota

I believe people should have the right to choose whoever they want to be friends with. I went to school in Faribault. My teacher and I were friends. I’d visit her after school. I used to go over to her house even for respite care. We did fun things like sitting out on the deck and reading a book, going to target, taking a nature hike, etc. My teacher had no problems with students calling her. Otherwise, she wouldn’t be giving her number out to them. I had some friends as well. Our class would have lunch together in her room. I would call her at my mom’s house and in the dorm. I used to e-mail her too. We wrote letters to each other during the summertime. Before I’d leave summer school, my teacher sent me assignments for something to do at home. She helped me purchase my mom flowers when it was mother’s day. My teacher and I proposed a letter about me being in dance classes. My teacher came out and ran with me in track.

One time, after a student said something to me, I went to my teacher. She handed me a card witch had a rainbow with water coming down on the pond where there were ducks swimming. She wrote on the card, “You are special.” My teacher talked to the house parents’ boss after we got yelled at because she didn’t like how she was towards us students. I told my teacher personal things that happened at home. My mother asked me what I talk about with my teacher. I wasn’t truthful with her. My mother took me out of my teacher’s classes. While I left school, I still kept in touch with my teacher at my group home. I’m not allowed to contact my teacher and my friends from Msab. I haven’t contacted my teacher in so long until I snuck downstairs and called her up. I asked for her e-mail address. Most of my group home staff don’t know this either.

People shouldn’t have to be secretive about who they contact. They can visit their friends anytime they please. They deserve private time amongst them selves. Another thing is, people can talk about whatever they want to talk about. Others don’t need to eavesdrop on their conversations. I’m sure if someone did it to them, they wouldn’t appreciate that. Here’s an example of one. A client and I were having a conversation at work. I was explaining why I didn’t participate in my former manager’s wedding. My service planner said, “The conversation’s going farther in the woods.” When he uses this phrase, he means change the subject. That’s what gets people really aggravated. Real people don’t go around telling somebody to change the subject. They vent from time to time and it’s a normal part of life.