al - overbrook, Kansas
Themes: purpose

I was born into a large, lower income, German Catholic, Republican family in the old Mississippi river town of Quincy, Illinois. My political opinions, values and beliefs developed into a patterned copy of those of my parents, family and Catholic community. I grew up on the names Ford, Reagan, Dole, and Bush and hated those damn liberal Democrats. I spent the first 40 years of my life stuck in the distraction and silliness of the tribal politics of “us vs them”. I eventually grew confused. I watched for decades as our rights, wealth, privacy and Constitution were eroded. I became politically adrift. Through my own apathy, I had willingly handed over important responsibilities and decisions to the motives and dominance of others.

One day at work a friend told me about a “interesting old guy” he had found on the internet. His name was Ron Paul. A couple days later I eventually took a moment to investigate and so began the gradual journey to enlightenment, inspiration, and the pursuit of a purpose in my political views and in my life. My story is not so much about this man or any other person. It is about an idea sparked by this congressman that turned into a quest for even more ideas, truth and a purpose in the destination of liberty. I suddenly wanted to open my mind up to as much history, political philosophies and ideologies and sources of useful knowledge as I could absorb. During this course I decided to no longer place my confidence in people, opinions and government, but in ideas and deductive reasoning. Opinions usually prove to be based on our own selfish interests, bias and judgments. They are weak, aimless and lead to confusion. I now believe we should choose a message not its sponsor and as a nation then listen, and using understanding and courage to draw out a purpose to reveal who we are, what we should be and where we need to go.

Purpose is conviction combined with an unshakable belief that it is not only undoubted but has evidence and logic proving its truth. Truths that become the destination of its seeker. The purpose we need references the entire antecedent knowledge and experience of the human race with the understanding of causality, deductive reasoning, human action, subjective motivation and the guidance of divine inspiration. I also believe that true purpose is identifiable by how it works and travels in the same, constant, never-ending direction.

The pursuit I speak of is the redemption of the vision and ideology that was given us as an example by our countries founding fathers with an objective to create maximum freedom for Americans in all applications. Our motivation needs to be one that guarantees choice, leverage, ownership, partnership, and opportunity for the people. With purposeful action and faith in the truth of liberty, we are fearless, we are strong, we have a point of compass. This purpose fortifies us in a spirit of resilience, satisfies our uneasiness and advances our resolve to struggle all the harder. I believe that in our current struggles we should not hope and wait apathetically for freedom’s redemption, we should pursue its purpose and plan for it.