Slow Down

Derek - Ava, Missouri

I grew up catching crawdads and turtles down by the creek with my brother and cousins; we would spend all day there except when we would go in for a bologna sandwhich or some fresh rice pudding, I can still smell that sweet scent of honeysuckle on the fencerow as we walked back. on any particular day of the week I could visit my grandparents and I would see my grandpa driving his old rusty farm truck in a field with his dog running right beside it. These are some of my favorite memories of my childhood and they all are accompanied by family. I have noticed in most cases how you are raised during your childhood determines how you will be when you grow up, and that all the people around you especially family, have a part in raising and making you who you are.

What I am getting at is that sometimes people need to just slow down and stop thinking about themselves. You can always see people getting down the highway as fast as their car will take them just so at the end of the day when they get home they complain about their day at work or how their computer was not working correctly or maybe even how they are just so worn out. I realize that time is very valuable to people and most work at jobs and lead very busy lives, but there are some times when you can and should slow down at least to help others in a time of need.

I was driving home from school one day and came around a blind curve when I saw two horses running down the center of the highway towards me, I immediately swerved to miss them. I then turned around in a driveway and saw two more cars do the same thing and once they had passed the horses, they just went on with their business of getting where they were going. I sped down the highway to stop their mad dash. The lady who owns the horses, two passersby, and I eventually get the horses off of the highway and back into the field (it took at least twenty five minutes) where they belong. This was a major relief but then afterwards I became upset with realizing how many cars had passed without stopping to help a person in need, and even though i live in a rural community where people are supposed to be extra friendly, only three of the more than twenty cars that passed stopped to help this poor woman. So i believe that people need to stop being so wrapped up in their lives and problems, and slow down to spend more time with the children around them. Not just spending time with them but teaching them right from wrong so that they may grow up to help a neighbor in need since after all you may be the one in need some day.