The Last Minute

Michelle - Houston, Texas

It was the winter of 2007. I never even dreamed that from the moment I left Houston to the time I arrived at Telluride there would be a moment where my life would change for good. When I was growing up, one of my teachers taught me there are only three things you can never take back. The first is words, the second is money, and the third is actions. This is an action that I will never forget.

While I was vacationing in Telluride, I went and after skiing, I went into a town with my parents to go shopping for a break. I went shopping for some new shirts since some of mine were too tight. We passed a place called the Empty Boxes. There located along an old wall of a store sat many wooden boxes with names on each one of them; some being named girls and others labeled boys. My parents explained these were boxes where the public could put old clothes in the appropriate box that the clothing belonged in. This shirt was not just any old shirt to me. It was one of my favorite shirts I could use in the winter, bright colored and festive for the time of year. I felt sad that I was about to surrender my favorite shirt to a box that I did not know of. Finally, I carefully placed my shirt into the box and slowly walked away. I knew I was doing something good but doing good things are not always easily completed. It is true actions do speak louder than words. My actions did change someone else’s life because the last minute, before I turned the corner of the street to leave, I turned around just in time to see an old, rusty looking van pull up next to the boxes. Out stepped a young girl and her mother. They looked cold for they had little layers of clothes on to stay warm. The young girl picked up my shirt in her hands and right then it hit me. That shirt did not mean anything to me anymore because I saw how happy she looked when she held the shirt and took it home with her. That girl needed it more than me. I questioned myself if this was a work of God. I could not believe my shirt was only in the box for about thirty seconds. It amazed me how God can reveal himself in His own little ways to each and every person.

Just like the saying great things may come from little sizes, small actions may greatly affect another person’s life. I believe God did show himself to me that last moment. When seeing God work through me to help someone else that I did not even know, I was amazed. This moment I will always treasure in my heart and I will never forget it.