Susannah - Houston, Texas

Earlier in the year, I was involved heavily with the fine arts. I had just finished Hamlet with Houston Christian and had spent a lot of time and effort on the production. Once that was completed, I was going to be involved with the musical Kiss Me Kate. At that point in time, my grades were not their best; in fact they were not good at all. I had a thought of possibly dropping out of Kiss Me Kate, but did not want to face it. Later on, as my grades were sinking even more I decided I needed to drop out of the show. Of course, I had never quit a show or really anything, and the thought was devastating to me. One night, on the way to rehearsal I realized that I had to drop out but didn’t want to hurt my cast by dropping out at the last minute. After tears and sadness because of not being in the show, my attitude began to mend. After dropping out I had some time to think and reflect on my decision, I had moments of guilt for not spending time with God, but then again, I did not want to accept it. During my small group meeting at church a couple weeks later we had a discussion of “not spending enough time with God.” I realized that maybe quitting Kiss Me Kate was the sign, but I ignored it because I wanted to blame God for doing that to me. Literally, days after that lesson, my small group leader called me. She asked me to come to AMP- a fun youth group night on Wednesdays. She gave me the reason that since I was not doing Kiss Me Kate, I could go and spend more time with the Lord. I realized that God wants me to spend with Him, and he will try to do anything possible to get that time. Now that I quit Kiss Me Kate, my grades have gotten better, and my relationship with Christ has grown so much. I believe spending time with God will always be a priority.