Angels on Earth

Alyssa - Mansfield, Missouri

Though studies have shown that the belief in angels has increased to 78%, I constantly hear skepticism on the status of their existence and form. I have heard many scoff at the idea of messengers from God flying to Earth with their elegant wings and halos; others simply state that if angels are invisible and can take any form, their existence cannot be proven. Despite these arguments, my experiences have served as proof that angels do exist, though they came in a form I had not expected.

I have witnessed and experienced many acts of cruelty and hate. Countless times I have seen friend turn on friend and spouse turn on spouse. There has been betrayal for personal gain and viciousness for mere satisfaction. I have witnessed despicable acts of brutality due to hatred. After years of feeling as though I would never catch a break from the ruthlessness of people, my faith in the human race had seriously declined. I finally reached the conclusion that I could trust no one.

One weekend, a young man named Zohn invited me to attend his church. Please note that I do not intend to discuss religious matters such as Pastor Mike’s preaching or the presence of the Lord felt in that sanctuary. It was the genuine love radiating from the people there that overwhelmed me. Honestly, my initial reaction was to assume it was all an act. As time passed, however, I continued to see these people perform random acts of kindness in exchange for nothing other than a simple thank you and a smile.

Seeing the goodness of these people opened my eyes to the good in others who had been there all along. Sarah, a young girl who has been through more than any person should have to suffer, has a heart of gold and stood by my side even during my time of doubt. Calvin, the Mansfield Speech and Debate coach, has come to Ava to coach me for four years now. Even though I was competing against his own team, he continued to care about me and prepare me, receiving nothing in exchange besides the knowledge that he was helping a young woman reach her goals. I have seen Katrina, my boyfriend’s mom, and my own mom take in children who were in need of a place to stay and someone to show them they cared, and I have had strangers offer words of kindness in hopes that they could brighten my day.

I believe that there are angels here on Earth–people sent from God to provide love, guidance, and hope. They may not have descended from Heaven by use of beautiful wings, but I have no doubt that Sarah, Calvin, Pastor Mike, my parents, and countless others are my guardian angels. They have not only watched over me and given me direction, but they have opened my eyes to a beautiful world and have given me the ability to trust and hope. They have also inspired me to live a better life; I can only hope that someday I can make a difference. Maybe someday I can be an angel in someone else’s eyes.