Life As We Know It

Kendra - Ava, Missouri
Themes: carpe diem, death

Over the course of the years, many things have changed. African Americans were granted freedom, women earned the right to vote, and here recently, we in the United States elected our first African American president. Things in society may keep changing, but there is one thing that will always remain the same- the power to believe. No matter my race, gender, size, or shape, I have the ability to believe in something whether it is great in size or amazingly small. I believe in many things, but the thing I chose to write about is life. I believe that no one should take their life for granted, because it will be over before they know it.

What if you knew the exact date and hour of your death? If you did have this knowledge, how would you live the rest of your life? No one knows when he or she is going to die. For most of us, it will come because of old age. I think that knowing you are one day going to die should be a good enough reason to live your life taking risks and being adventurous. I watch my parents everyday live their lives doing whatever it takes to make ends meet. I know that my parents have dreams and hopes, but they never have the time because they are too busy working or traveling to the next gym or softball field to watch me.

I recently read this book called Deadline. In the book, a boy had a rare blood disease and knew it was incurable. He chose not to have treatment, because he wanted to live out the rest of his life, however long or short that would be, as normally as possible. He then decided to turn his life around and go from being shy and safe, to taking risks and talking to people who he would have never had the courage to talk to before. He claimed that if he had not been diagnosed, he would have stayed just the same as he was, but he regretted not changing before because it was the best thing that had happened to him.

Death comes to us all. It cannot be avoided, you cannot fight it, and no one is immune to it. So knowing that death is coming, I plan on living my life to the fullest. I plan on “living life on the edge” whenever I can, just because I can. I want to make the best out of my life and I believe that everyone else should to, because before you know it, it will be too late. Sometimes in life, you can try to predict what might happen along the way, but it is in death when your greatest adventures will begin.