I Believe In Abstinence Before Marriage

Gabrielle - Lenoir, North Carolina

One summer evening about two years ago my family and I were discussing my upcoming 14th birthday over supper. My dad was all choked up because I would be going to high school in the fall, and I was becoming a young lady. We talked about how my life would change and how different high school was going to be from home schooling. As our conversation turned to guys, my dad’s face became stern and serious. This is when he shared with me a metaphor which I have lived my life. He said “Gabe, a girl’s reputation is like a china cup, and a guy’s, is like a tin cup. You only have to drop the china cup once for it to break. But the tin cup you can drop it, and it might not even put a dent in it.” In other words it only takes a girl one time to mess up by having sex or going to far with a guy for her reputation to be ruined, but a guy’s isn’t that easy to damage because society gives guys a pat on the back for the number of girls they sleep with.

A few weeks later, my mom and dad gave me a purity ring for my birthday. It is a silver ring that I wear on my wedding ring finger. This ring symbolizes the promise I have made to myself, my parents, my future husband, and God that I will remain a virgin until I am married. When my parents gave me my ring I was so awestruck with hope because they care for me and my future so much that they want to help me make the right decisions. Even though it is just a ring it symbolizes the mistakes I’m not going to make. Being a teenager in this generation it is hard to make and keep a promise like this as we are living in a sex-saturated world. There is so much sexual peer pressure that we don’t even realize sometimes. The music we listen to, the movies we watch, posters for clothing stores, commercials on TV, and radio advertisements all promote sex in some way. When it gets hard to block out temptation from the world, I think of how special I am. I am to good for STD’s; I don’t want my future thrown away by a teen pregnancy; I don’t want the guilt of knowing I have broken a promise to God; and I don’t want a reputation of being a easy. I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and have no guilt staring back because I dropped my “china cup”; I want to live a healthy life of integrity and self respect. I also think of how special my husband will think I am on our wedding night when I have saved myself for him and he has saved himself for me. No worries of disease or infection from my past mistakes.

The world may laugh at me and say my ways are old fashioned but the wait is well worth it. That is why I believe in abstinence before marriage.