Music is powerful

Liana - San Antonio, Texas

I believe music is a powerful way of expressing one’s self. For me, it brings out the best of me. Music brings out so many emotions that you can literally pick out a song that goes with your mood. You can be sad, angry or happy and music is there to be sad, angry, or happy with you. It’s actually really beautiful.

I think the main reason why I believe in music so much is because it’s the only thing that has never let me down. I can put full trust in it and it can feel all my emotions with me. Even if you’re not as big of a fan of music as me you can never really get away from it. Everything around you is music, just listen. Everything that you hear is music, maybe not in a pleasant tune but it’s there. Music is my way of getting out of my shell and letting everything go and letting all my emotions just flow through the sound of music.

I never really was appreciative of music as I was before my brothers introduced me to their type of music and telling me not just to listen to songs because of the catchy tune but because of the lyrics. Lyrics are the words for music that express what the song is feeling. I believe that a person who truly loves music loves all genres of music; you can’t just love certain parts of it. For example, if you’re in love with someone you can’t just say you love certain parts of them but dislike or hate other parts, it’s not true love. Get what I’m saying?

Music makes me come alive. It lets me escape from reality and allows me to go into another world. It lets me express myself in ways I wouldn’t be able to otherwise. It meets me in a way that nothing else can. Music is like a best friend that feels what you feel. Music is a non-stop passage for people to share their emotions and ideas to the world. There’s a quote that always sticks with me by Robert G. Ingersoll that goes, “Music expresses feeling and thought, without language; it was below and before speech, and it is above and beyond all words.” It’s just such a powerful message to me.

Music will always be with me. Besides God and family it is one of the glue that holds my life together. I can allow people to imitate the role of what music is to me, but to me, music will really never be replaced. It’s always going to be with me where ever I go, might as well love it.

I believe music is contagious. It has the power to bring all different kinds of people together at concerts. If it can do that, it can do so much more like being the most respected way to worship in many religions. Even in the Bible, psalms were expressed with music and song. It’s really amazing. Music has so many ways to express and show its significance in the world.

Music has formed me in so many ways. It has made me appreciate and feel for other people and what they go through just by listening to lyrics of a song. The writers of song have made me feel sympathy for them who have had such a hard life and struggled through it. Music is a world-wide way for letting people get their feelings out and feeling better and just releasing their inside feelings. Young or old music has the power to cross from generation to generation.

History shows that from the earliest of biblical times music has been loved and shared. Anthropologists have shown that even Roman and Greek ancient civilization had instruments which were used to share music. I have read and seen news reports that say that music can even heal the sick. It can bring joy to the elderly as well as a new born infant. Music has even enhanced learning.

I have stated these and other facts to show not only how significant music has been in my life but in the lives of thousands of years before me. If music can last this long and still inspire a person, who knows what it could do for us in the future. This I believe.