Take Control of Your Individuality

Kalene - La Mesa, California

Fashion, celebrities, billboards, and media all create a guideline of what we need to look like. I believe that we as individuals need to be comfortable with ourselves and not pretend to act and look like an image the media presents. Be true to us, our family, our religion, and give respect and dignity to who we truly are. I believe that each one of us can create goals, aspirations, we know can be accomplish, that will strengthen our individuality and in time evolve our personality into a proud, independent, strong minded, human being.

When we are young and in school, cliques create obstacles in people’s self respect which leads to the decrease in self-dignity. These cliques -arranged according to appearance and hobbies (not by true inner beauty)- do not give students the self-confidence they need to succeed in life. I believe that no matter what age a person, he/she should have a positive role model in their life, to show them the importance of confidence and uniqueness. When growing up in the 90’s many fads were created. The grudge fashion was popular, which was oversize clothing that made young girls dress in men clothing, groups such as Backstreet Boys, N’Sync, Spice Girls and individual artists such as Britney Spears young kids and teens idolized these artists for their looks and through their music. This role model back in the 90’s, when I was a kid, represents positive role models. The twenty first century media adds numerous negative role models that children look up to and follow. However in order to create these positive role models parents need to show their children the true role models to follow in society. I believe in order to boost individual’s self-confidence; the transition begins at a young age, as low as elementary school ranging through high school. After high school, individuals finally feel comfortable with who they are and try not to act or look like someone else. I believe that during college people finally find their true inner beauty and are not self-conscious to let that inner beauty shine.

I believe that God has already sketched out a blue print of our life, which will direct us to complete happiness, no matter how inconsiderate the road to absolute happiness may be. I believe that in time, each one of us will be confident in our inner and outer beauty by creating our own fashion style, own hairstyle, and be a proud individual, when introducing ourselves to a man/woman we chose to spend the rest of our life with. I believe in the creation of independent, strong-minded individuals, who stand up for what they believe in with the self-esteem they so strongly deserve.