ZHOU - Delray Beach, Florida

I believe in self confidence. Life is full of challenges, so we need to be strong and believe in ourselves. As time goes by, more and more life experience I have been through, I found out that nothing is more valuable than self confidence. Self confidence can create values in our lives; self confidence is unlimited; self confidence leads us to the door of success; self confidence gives us motivation in doing things and achieves our goals.

I think it is tragedy if a person lacks confidence. People have different views of success. Some people judge the word of success by how wealthy we are, some people judge the word of success by how famous we are. In spite of all the different judgments people have, I think it is not important how the public looks at us. The most important thing is the journey of success. Looking back, nobody can be successful without self confidence.

I am neither rich nor famous, but I think I am a successful person. Forget the money and the business. I am a 23 year old college student and a housewife. Even I have come a long way; I have made it through so far. A personal life experience I have been through made me believe in my own capability.

When I was 17, I had a terrible car accident, and my calf was fractured. I dropped high school and stayed in hospital for one year. In that entire year, I thought my college dream had broken up forever. I could never realize my ideality. I was disabled. Everyday was a desperate day for me; I thought I would become a hopeless person. I stopped associating with my peers, and I didn’t feel like talking to my family. Books and magazines became my best friends. In here, I have to be thankful for my Mom, she was the first one who noticed my inferiority complex, and she supported me mentally in any possible way. She bought me the latest magazines everyday. Also, she bought me different books with life theories and philosophies. In that time, I found my favorite author Mary Kay Ash. A word from her inspired my entire life. She said: “If you think you can, you can. If you think you can’t, you are right.” Despite of all the painful time I had gone through, my doctor and my Mom had never forgotten to encourage me that my legs would heal up eventually. I needed to have a positive mind and a good mood in order to recover it faster from the illness. To build a positive mind in the hospital was not easy, but when self confidence came along, I made it. I believed in Mary Kay Ash’s personal philosophy, and I saw the doctor. A year later, I was fully recovered. Since then, I have always trusted myself. I love books with philosophies, because there are many true life theories inside it and waiting for us to discover. We have always heard that ‘God doesn’t give more pressures than what we can handle!’ Sure! If a person can happily confront disability and cope with illness, don’t you think she is a successful person? Self confidence made a change for me mentally and physically.

Self confidence helped me to build my ambitions and boosted my self esteem. A few years later, I got married, and I also went back to school. I have a very happy marriage now.

Moreover, I remember four years ago, I could hardly speak or write in English. Through all my hard studies, I finally made it in to college today. All my courses I had taken through the last semester, I made “A” in the end. I could not have any achievements without self confidence. The definition of success for me is very easy. If you are 23 years old, you are a good student who has an understanding mind towards life, you are a successful person. I hope to share my experience with all my peers who are in their 20s. If you want be successful someday, self confidence is the key to success.