Healing by Helping Others

Jordan - Denver, Colorado

I never knew how dark life could get until I experienced it myself. I never understood how lonely, scary, and painful people said a life could truly get until I was in that same boat, or swimming beside it drowning in sadness. I was in a rut, a hole that grew deeper each day, filled with sadness, anger, loneliness, and confusion. I didn’t know how to get out. I continually fought this uphill battle, until I gave up and surrendered. My pain left me defeated. I hit a low point and didn’t know who to turn to because I felt like I was worthless and a burden, and no one would want to reach out and help me. But it’s funny how the people that mean the most are found at the lowest, darkest points in a person’s life. At least that is what happened for me. Four amazing women came to the rescue and saved my life before I was able to let go of it.

A friend stepped up and walked beside me through it all, offering her hand when I fell. She helped me keep my faith in God and not give up hope. My seventh grade science teacher welcomed me with open arms, even though I wasn’t her student anymore, listened to my troubles, and offered life changing advice. She urged me to continue to fight and do what I love because better days will come. My current science teacher offered her ear to listen and gave inspiring words. She reminded me that I am worth more than I think, and the world can become beautiful once I say it is. My previous English teacher was one I could turn to for any advice or inspiring wisdom, or a sincere hug to comfort me. She taught me that no one can chip away my self-worth, and I need to use my darkness to serve the light and to do good in this world. All of these women affected me and changed my life in different ways, but there was one thing all of them showed me without explicitly saying it. All four women showed me kindness, and how a little effort to help someone can change lives, or even save lives. This is what I believe. I believe helping others is what makes us heal. Not only does it heal the recipient but the giver as well. Nobody can chip away a person’s self-worth, but helping others can only define it. The more we help others the more we see we are worth something and we have the ability to make a difference in a person’s life or even the world. These women changed and saved my life. I don’t know how I will ever repay them, but for now, I can give to others the gifts they gave me. So now I am healing by helping others. I am rebuilding my self-worth, using my darkness to serve the light, and approaching each new day with the challenge to help another because who knows how much one act of kindness can make on a person’s life. The acts of kindness from the women who helped me, who saved me, greatly impacted me. Kindness creates a ripple with no logical end, and if everyone decided to help others, the world would be a better place. I challenge everyone, as well as myself every day, to live and give love and kindness, and reach out to others and make a difference. Then maybe, just maybe, the world and everyone living on it will heal. We heal by helping others, and this, I believe.