Sunday Morning Eggs

Michael - Safety Harbor, Florida

I believe in Sunday morning eggs. My grandpa has seen to it that I’ve grown up with that in my mind. When I was younger, it just seemed like a pointless inconvenience; a mundane chore that was forced upon me and my brothers weekly. Now I see that it’s more than that. Sunday morning eggs has a deeper meaning.

My grandparents live in New York but come down to Florida to visit us for extended periods of time during each year. Ever since I can remember, these visits from Grammy and Poppy meant a few things: tennis games, rounds of golf, and Sunday morning eggs. With them, life revolves around the family. The tennis and golf games are ways for my grandparents to get active and spend time with my brothers, myself, and one another while doing something we all enjoy. The Sunday mornings mean much more than that, however. Sunday morning brings everyone together.

Mass ends and we meet in the front of the Church as a family, talking with friends and thinking about the day to come. Before we leave, however, the conversation always turns to, “So, where are we going for breakfast?” The question isn’t whether we’re going, but rather where are we going. Sunday morning eggs has become an understood tradition. We take turns picking restaurants, but it’s never the place that makes Sunday mornings special, it’s the people we’re with. It’s the knowledge that with each passing Sunday, our relationship with those closest to us is strengthening and growing.

Believing in Sunday morning eggs may sound like a foolish thing to most people, but to me, it’s more than a meal. To me, it’s a blessing and a personal opportunity, memories that will last a lifetime and something that I want to share with my children and grandchildren.

Sunday morning eggs means taking time out of a hectic schedule to sit down with my family and catch up. Those mornings are the family values I’ve grown up with, epitomized in a weekly meal and the memories we will always have of the laughter we share when our towers of creamers and jellies topple over on the table. The conversation could contain seemingly pointless small talk, sharing stories of the past week, laughing at failures, recognizing and celebrating our successes, or even comparing our hometown baseball teams, but being there, together, is what really matters.

If you look around at the world today, you’ll see far too many people worried about superficial things, things that we can’t do anything about or won’t really matter in the long run anyway. People are so caught up in yesterday and tomorrow that they never take the time out to just enjoy today and the people they’re with now. All hope isn’t lost, though. Not everybody is this ignorant. If you look really closely, you’ll be able to see families like my own, with grandparents who, like mine, were able to bring the whole family together to enjoy simple Sunday morning eggs.