You Are What You Eat

Austin - Jonesville, Michigan
Themes: love

Everything you need to know about love is taught in third grade social studies. At that point in your education you are introduced to the concepts of needs and wants. This simple, almost useless, concept houses the perfect explanation of the difference between the love for a friend and the love for a lover.

For those who don’t remember or simply have never passed the third grade a need is something you require for survival, and a want is something that you don’t require but still feel like you do. A simple example is a plate of potatoes and carrots. That is a need. It might not have the best, most exciting taste, but it gives your body the nutrients to keep going. On the other hand, candy or ice cream is a want. It tastes delicious and sweet but does nothing for your health, at least nothing good.

All your life you will have both. You need the potatoes and carrots despite their blandness. They undo the damage from candy and ice cream. However in your youth all you can think about is candy. You just want sweetness regardless of your health. It’s not your fault. How often does a plate of potatoes and carrots get advertised. It’s the candy and ice cream that lures you in with buzz words and bright colors. You never crave your next plate of veggies. The potatoes and carrots more or less have to be force fed to you. You lean on them though, to cure the upset stomach from too many sweets. The potatoes and carrots do all this for you while you scrunch your face in disgust.

As you mature though you see the value of potatoes and carrots. They don’t taste as awful as you once thought. In fact a little spice and they can possess a taste that rivals any treat. The candy and ice cream becomes your guilty pleasure. You realize their emptiness. You’re no longer foolish. Nourishment is more important than that exciting taste. You feel strengthened and comforted by a plate of potatoes and carrots. The candy and ice cream still retain their amazing taste but inside you know they lack what you need. They have no nutrients. They just make you sick.

Needs and wants. The caring friend that is like a brother or sister. The gorgeous lover that always seems to hurt you. Emotional attraction. Physical attraction. Your pillar. Your passion. Taste, like beauty, is difficult to ignore, but nutrients, like support and comforting, are what keep you going. You don’t need to deny the craving for candy and ice cream, but see the value in your potatoes and carrots.

After all you are what you eat.