The Power of Music

Philip - La Grange, Illinois

Music definitely has power. From the beats of the snare drum as armies march into war, to driving down the highway, listening to your favorite band; music has influence and power in not only my life, but virtually everyone’s. Ever since I was a small boy I’ve listened to music. My first concert was when I was only a year old; my mother took me to see the Mighty Mighty Boss Tones. My mom and dad have had a major influence on the music I liked and listened to. When I was about 13, I broke away from the soft rock and 80’s hair bands of my parents, and I went into the hard rock and metal genre. This music has power in my life. I blast it to express emotion, to get pumped up for a hockey game, or to just listen to music for the sake of listening to it. I use music often to express emotion. Emotion and music go hand-in-hand. No matter what emotion you’re feeling: joy, anger, sadness, fear, love, heartbreak, there will be music that can help you cope with what you’re feeling. Music catches people’s attention when they hear something they can relate to. Music can give you energy, for example: before every hockey game a team member brings his IHome to the rink, and we blast music to help get us psyched up for the game. Music also has the power to unify people. Such as in the times of slavery, the slaves would sing music that they created: the blues. They would all sing together to express their feelings of sadness toward the lifestyle they were forced to live. Just like how the blues can represent the slaves, music has the power to represent people. As the sitar represents the middle-east, the steel drums represent the islands, or how the mariachi bands represent Mexico and Central America. Every different part of the world has music that goes with it and represents it. Music is how the people of a given area can express themselves. Even when we were an ancient people, we experimented with music. We would be beating sticks together to form a beat, either to impress other tribes of peoples, each other, or to march into war. Without music in my life, I would be lost. I use music every chance I get, even at this moment while I’m writing this, I was listening to music. It calms me, and helps me focus and think clearly. This is why I believe in the power of music.