Tess - Medina, Minnesota
Themes: integrity

I believe in honesty. Nobody should lie at any cost. Of course, if it is a little white lie that doesn’t hurt anybody, then it is acceptable. Otherwise, lying could really hurt someone and it’s not worth it, even if it makes things better for you.

“I didn’t do it.”, is a common phrase when your lying. Wanting to get out of something of not to get punished for something that they did, people lie. They also lie to build their own self esteem, to hurt someone else, or to protect others from feeling hurt, which ironically is a nice thing to do. Obviously, everybody has lied in there life. We are only human, but that doesn’t make it ok. Lying is wrong.

Certainly, if you lie, even if it is a little lie, it can still hurt someone very much. Besides, if you lie too much, nobody will believe you when you tell the truth. The story, “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” is a good example in this case. The story is about a boy who pretended that there was a wolf that was going to get him and cried “wolf” three times. The townspeople believed him and came and there was no wolf. Laughing, the boy walked away. Then, a wolf actually came and the boy cried “wolf” but nobody believed him, so the wolf ended up killing the boy. This probably won’t happen in real life, but it’s a good example. If you lie, people might start not liking you and nobody would trust you with anything. But, if you are honest, people will probably trust you more with things. It also might bring you closer to people that are important to you.

If you make a small lie to make someone feel better then, it is ok, as long as it doesn’t break a law or hurt someone else. Sometimes people don’t even care if you tell a little white lie to not hurt them. Someone might ask, “How does my haircut look?!?!”, then you shouldn’t say, “It looks horrible! Why did you get it cut like that?” You should say something more like, “It looks great! I love it!” Obviously, it would be better to say something nice rather than hurting their peelings.

To conclude, it is never ok to lie when someone wants to get out of something or doesn’t want to get punished for something they did. It is also wrong to lie to build self esteem, or to intentionally hurt someone else. I wouldn’t like it if someone lied to me to get what they wanted. As people mature, I hope they realize lying is wrong and that honesty is usually the best way to go. This I believe.