The Power Of Originality

Anna - New Port Richey, Florida

I believe in the power of originality. As a sophomore in high school, I am amidst all of the trends and gossip that are discussed among passing periods, random texts, lunch, class, and the occasional handwritten I-should-have-been-learning-about-algorithms-but-instead-I-wrote-this note. But I also experience the aura of being different from the other students at my high school, a little quirky, maybe even spastic, and definitely one of a kind. But sometimes originality is the key to finding yourself and accepting yourself, which everyone struggles with sometime in their life. I feel that once you know who you are, things start to get better for you. My story goes like this. When I started ninth grade, I thought I knew who I was and everything I wanted to be. The truth was I knew absolutely nothing about myself. As the weeks went on, I struggled with

keeping up some image that I didn’t feel was necessary for me to live under. My grades weren’t what they used to be, my friends didn’t seem to be my friends anymore, and I was losing interests in things I once believed in. And then something hit me. Who am I, and what have I done with myself? My family doesn’t know who I am, I have almost no one left to share my thoughts with, and why on earth do I spend so much time on my hair every morning? My beliefs were starting to be questioned, and I realized that I didn’t exactly fit in with my old friends since I gained these new insights. I thought, “Forget it. What kind of friends are they if they can’t see me for more than my clothes are worth and the type of music I listen to?” It’s then during the fourth month or so of school that I decided to accept myself. I liked the real me, but not the one everyone thought I was. And surprisingly, some of my real friends saw how special I am and stayed by my side throughout the confusion. Yes, I was different from a lot of the ‘normal’ people, but I began to love myself either way. I loved my simple style, my dirty shoes, my natural hair. Before I knew it, things were improving without my awareness. I didn’t realize how happy I was because of the more simple and natural things in life I didn’t pay any significance to before. My grades soon topped straight “A’s” and my family noticed my new attitude. I started to accept people for their own individuality and not their appearance. I finally understood myself and who I was. Friends started to come naturally and compassion was a new word in my life. Sometimes who you are deep down in your heart is more important than the little perks in life. Being yourself is what will set you apart from those who don’t deserve recognition. Originality will get you farther than submission to the norm. This I believe.