Green Economics & Green Planet

J.R. - Woodinville, Washington

My American Dream is a green one, in two respects. First, I see our country as being able to provide all American’s the ability to live financially sailable lives at a higher “quality of life” status – greenbacks for everyone. Secondly, I see our country as a leader in environmental sustainability which allows for the reconstruction of old capitalists ideals into more feasible solutions that are in harmony with the planet yet economically advantageous – green planet with greenbacks.

Every American will be encouraged and provided the opportunities to be financially stable. Everyone will have access to healthcare so that they do not have to go into debt and financial ruin over medical bills. More of the economically challenged will be able to access affordable housing when times are tough. Worker retraining programs will be more prevalent and expanded upon. Temporary housing for the homeless will be available on a widespread basis. Social workers will assist the homeless participants in attaining all of the social needs that they require without having to go to other agencies. Also, mental health advocates, will get homeless people the counseling and medications that they need. Adequate mental health services for people who are not homeless but at poverty levels, or whom cannot afford mental health treatments, will be provided. Food bank programs will be expanded to service larger populations and to provide more fresh produce to supplement the large amount of canned food currently provided. Educational programs in schools will be held to a higher standard. Mentoring programs will be implemented at all educational levels, so that all that have a desire to achieve, have the support that they need.

America will adopt a higher consciousness in regards to the way we treat the planet. Businesses will realize that they do NOT have to give up financial gain in order to operate in a sustainable manner. A new philosophy will be taught to engineers to replace the outdated, and environmentally disastrous, “planned obsolescence” theory. America will adopt a new mindset in “product end life” responsibility. We will no longer ship our toxic e-waste to foreign countries and put our heads in the sand as to the consequences of this practice. Educators, at all levels, will encourage and educate as to the “better and best practices” of living in a sustainable way. Business students will learn how to increase the bottom line and still be in harmony with the planet. We will see an easier access to recycling more of our waste – after all, there is NO away when it comes to throw. Manufacturers will use biodegradable consumer packaging – no need for Aunt Martha’s shampoo bottle to last for 200 years in the landfill. Legislation for the clean water act will be reinstated by the Obama administration. Coal plants will be a toxic by-product of past energy solutions. Biodiversity will be valued and respected. Species extinction, accelerated by human activities, will be addressed. Global climate change and CO2 emissions will be considered in all that we do. America will encourage and sponsor innovation in alternative energy solutions. America has been the leader in consumption and now we will be the leader in living, with all of the creature comforts, in a sustainable way.

I believe that we can live green in America, economically and sustainably. I believe that we will reinvent our theories on progress and capitalism to reflect a new time in Earth’s history, a time to consider that there is ONLY one planet Earth. I believe that all American’s will gain the right to be financially solvent and enjoy a higher quality of life.