Love and Chocolate.

Autumn - Germantown, Kentucky

All is good in love and chocolate, they say.

Or maybe it was love and war? But for me ; my faith stands, everlasting and complete, in chocolate.

As long as I can recall, I’ve had this euphoric devotion to anything drizzled in, dipped in, covered in, including but not limited to.. c-h-o-c-o-l-a-t-e. I had to learn how to spell it early on, my parents really thought they were pulling the wool over my eyes when they expanded it out into single consonants and vowels. Boy, did they underestimate me.

When I was younger I believed they used my love of chocolate against me. Sitting at the dinner table, I was a mere five feet from that wooden cupboard that held the precious, delectable Little Debbies inside – totally off limits, until your plate was clear. ‘Moooooom..’ I’d whine. ‘Please, pretty please with sugar on top, can I have a Little Debbie, now? I was pretty good at sticking that bottom lip out, but it failed miserably every time. ‘One more bite,’ is all she would say. So I would muster on, having faith that my tiny little tummy would expand big enough to devour all those mushy green peas – and save a little wiggle room, just so I could savor some of those treasured ho-hos.

As I got older I realized that it wasn’t just my parents who used chocolate as a gimic. Shew, it killed me to lay there quietly and almost completely still during those thirty minutes of nap time in kindergarten. But, I did it with magnificence .. and you know why? Because I knew in the end the prize was worth much more than being able to giggle in the dark with my friends, it was the almighty miniature chocolate bar for goodness sake!

Chocolate, in a sense, has taught me about faith. An understanding that the best is yet to come. Watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory – much like every other kid in the country, made me wish I had a chocolate river in my backyard. What I didn’t realize, until I got a bit older was that there were lessons to be had in that movie.The same value my parents were trying to enstill, the same lesson my teacher was attempting to drill into my mind.. The idea came to me one wintery day, it had been a rather thoughtful day – as I sat there, cozy and enjoying a smores poptart.. It clicked.

Coincidental realization? Possibly. But, the lesson is that the really great things in life.. they are worth the wait. Education, love, my career, promotions, my family … these are all events I strive for, dream of, I have my entire life. I find myself wondering sometimes when, or if, these things will ever happen for me? But it’s always shortlived. Because in my experience, the best is always yet to come.

Now, that is something to believe in.