Daniel - Lemon Grove, California

The average height of a human male is the five foot nine. I, on the other hand, am roughly five foot five. Being this short balances itself on pros and cons. One of the major cons, which I personally dislike of being short is having both the feeling and the fact of people looking down on me. Because of my physical disadvantage, I feel that people don’t take me serious and as a result thinking little of me. When people assume the stereotype of underestimating me in anything I love proving them wrong- the ultimate pro for me. The feeling that I get when I prove someone wrong is the feeling of an ultimate greatness, like an ultimate high and I am an addict of it.

Throughout the years I have come to the conclusion that my physical features cant compare to the heart, determination, and the confidence of which I live by. Before I came to this conclusion, however, I was influenced of the thought that I can’t do what the bigger person can. This was like my ultimate downfall in my life. The fact that no matter how much I tried and applied myself to a task, no matter how much I wanted to be the best, I couldn’t or at least I thought I couldn’t.

I was in this little “cocoon” for some years, feeling hopeless, depressed and felt that I was out of the loop. However, one special day my whole life and perspective of myself changed dramatically. I had a talk with my father about my long dilemma, and by expressing my pain he let me see the light. “Just because someone is bigger then you don’t mean that they automatically win in life. Believe me when I say that there are some people that look like a Tarzan but play like Jane. The road to being the best at whatever you decide to do will not be easy, but as long as you have heart, faith, and will you will make it. I guarantee it”. The words that he said really helped me out because I never thought of it in that way. After he talked to me he showed me proof that people who are vertically challenged can be successful. Darren Sproles, Spud Webb, Brandon James, and Noel Devine are some of the names that he said. After he talked to me I felt as if a switch in my head was just activated. I immediately gained the knowledge, and power to break out of my “cocoon” and live my life my way regardless of what people says.