This I believe

Vaughn - Lemon Grove, California

I believe being put into a new environment forces a person to adapt. As humans, we will

change with our surroundings. We don’t like to be left out, or feel unaccepted by

others. In today’s world, blending in with what’s popular and what other people like is

the most accepted thing to do.

It is because today human views are changed through television, movies, and

music. If a person walks through the mall with a pair of Nike’s, a platinum watch,

designer sunglasses, and designer clothes, that person is accepted in others eyes. If the

same man didn’t shave for a couple days and wore a dirty shirt, beat up jeans, and a

pair of plain Velcro shoes, he would be viewed differently. We can all thank

advertisement for the way we view others. They tell us who is cool and in, and they tell

us who is ugly and out.

In poor third world countries, people do not need to impress others or wear clothes

to be accepted by their peers. They fight for food and to support their family. While in

the United States we are more concerned about the material things. Many teenagers I know

say, “I can’t live without my cell phone.” I don’t think most of them could survive right now on

their own either. As a teenager myself, I like to think I can do anything my heart desires and

that I don’t need anyone to help me. The truth is everything I have done in my life I had help

doing. For example, placing sixth in CIF (California Interscholastic Federation) last year for

track.

True, I did it with my own will and power, but I wouldn’t have been able to do it

without all the practice I had with my dad and the coaches, and the knowledge of the game in

which they gave to me.

As teenagers we are shown through movies and television shows how we are supposed to

act. Talking back to our parents, and doing things that we are not supposed to. Friends

attitudes also serve as conflict to our actions. We want to fit in so we do what they do, scared

to tell them what we really think. Everyone is different, but we are more alike then they like to

think.