Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream will Never come True

Dominique - La Mesa, California
Themes: change

This I Believe…

I never even thought we would ever have an African American president; at least in my lifetime. I believe that even though we have our first African American president, Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream is still waiting to become true.

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.” Says Martin Luther King Jr. in his “I have a Dream” speech. There has been a major controversial issue about whether or not Martin Luther King’s dream had come true since Barack Obama was elected president of the United States. Even though America has come to a conclusion that there is time for a change in the white house, there are many changes still waiting.

Unfortunately, there are still many people who have so much hatred towards Obama, not because of how he is as a person or our president, but because of the color of his skin. Martin Luther King wanted racism to end, which included racial comments that still continues on in today’ society. Other countries accept Obama as a black president more than Americans do. I believe that his dream has partially come true, but it will never come all the way true. There will always be someone out there that does not want people from different ethnicities to succeed or come together; that was his dream.

For example on the inauguration day, I heard many students at school saying that, people only voted for Barack Obama because he is black or he was not smart enough to be president because he was black. That comes to show that if children my age mention racial statements like that, we have a long way to go until King’s dream is fulfilled; because it has to start from their homes, children usually do not choose to be racist on their own. It is unfortunate that that even though America has elected an African American president, there are still a few ignorant and close-minded people that will never accept it.

I believe that America can strive for a change, but Martin Luther King’s dream will never come to the light.