This I believe

Chris - Colorado Springs, Colorado

My Dad once said, “Life is a bell curve, people are feeding you and changing your diapers, then when you’re old, people are feeding you and changing your diapers.” That is something that makes you think. Is the meaning of life to go though school, get a job, maybe get married, and go into retirement? Death is an interesting thing to think about. You know its coming maybe not when or were. I’ve been scared to think about death. It sounds weird but it keeps me up at night sometimes. I don’t think how it will happen, just the after affects. I have adopted a saying and added to it a little, and I believe this saying, it goes; “Live every day like it’s your last, because any one of them could be that one” I originally heard it from one of my uncles when I with him on his boat in Lake Havasu. And I hear it a lot now. It’s kind of the universal saying when it comes to living life to the fullest. I hear it from NBA players like Steve Nash and NASCAR drivers like Carl Edwards and just recently form the rock band Nickelback.

I also belief that age is only a number. If you’re young at heart then you should be fine. I saw one of my friend’s uncles turn 50. And when someone said 50 you could see it in his eye. “Oh boy.” That is the thing with live life to the fullest. Do you watch life pass you by or do you live life? I was watching an episode of ER and the showed this old former doctor and they had a few people in the same room, and they were watching him slowly die. I thought about my Mom and Dad and other people in my life and I think about how I would handle that. Its strange feeling I’m sad but then I wonder did they have a good life that they were happy with? All I can say is to live life as best you can, so you can be happy with what you did. I’ve read in multiple books that there is a difference between a life spent and life wasted. I want to be sure that I am on the life spent side. I want to be able to look back on life and say, “I did have a good life, I did what I set out to do and I had fun.” I hope those would be my last thoughts someday when the time comes for me to pass on. As J.R.R. Tolkien once wrote in the Lord of the Rings, “End? No, the journey doesn’t end here. Death is just another path, one that we all must take.”