College Education: A Bet on Your Future

Maureen - Bellevue, Washington

I believe a college education is the most solid investment we can make in ourselves. The college experience provides us with the ability to form credible, diverse views of the world. It allows us to make our journey through life as an intellectual. This is what I strive for the most in my own life.

However, receiving a college degree is not just about being considered an intellectual person. It is so much more than that. A college degree provides you with a package perceived qualities. It tells future employers a variety of things about your character. You are determined, willing to make sacrifices, and believe in yourself. Going to college is like placing a bet on your future. And your bet shows others that you are confident that your future is bright.

I not only believe in the absolute importance of a college education. Unfortunately, I also believe that this opportunity is being extended to less and less people who deserve a chance. The current cost of tuition is enormously inflated. Did you know that with a 10% inflation rate that tuition doubles every nine years? My mother was able to attend graduate school at Gonzaga University for a grand total of about $5000. What does $5000 get us today? About two quarters of full time classes at the University of Washington Bothell. Many of my friends are not able to afford to go to college. And because of this they are unable to place this important bet on their future and instead must work their way from the bottom up.

I want to continue my education more than anything else in the world. I plan to attend law school once I graduate in the spring. But I believe that increasing tuition costs, and server budget cuts are going to hinder my chances of fulfilling my dream. I believe that Universities should be affordable to the masses so parents do not have to worry about college costs immediately after they bring a child into the world. It is only when college tuition returns to affordable rate that everyone who strives to make this important investment in themselves can. And in doing so show the world how bright they think their future will be.