Skip the Honda, Go for the BMW

Kristina - Potomac, Maryland

This I believe, while difficult times and challenges may seem like a burden in the moment, I consider them blessings in disguise and opportunities to become a stronger and wiser person. It wasn’t until middle school that I realized how lucky I was to have such supportive and… yes, I’ll admit… pretty wise parents. The greatest points of advice was given to me, by none other than, my dad. He said, “if your goal is to only visit a Honda showroom, you will never buy a BMW or Mercedes.” Now, I remember my dad telling this to my brother when I was in elementary school. But, I didn’t quite understand what he meant by it. It’s not just cars my dad was referring to. It’s about life in general. He always told us to strive for the best. So, why should anyone settle for less when you can achieve something so much better and more fulfilling? To this day, I have not forgotten my dad’s simple phrase. Although I am only a freshman in college, there are moments when I can’t help but think about what I want to do with my life. While I am majoring in health sciences, I have switched my concentration three times from physician’s assistant, to physical therapy, and currently to pre-med. Despite my indecisiveness, there is no doubt about it. I want to work in the medical field when I graduate. While I was highly focused on solely becoming a physical therapist the past few years, I came to realize this: with only two more years of schooling, I can become a medical doctor which will give me even more options in the medical field. Now, as much I wish I could say math and science come easy for me, unfortunately, I do not follow that stereotype of “Asians are great at math and science.” However, this is a big challenge that I am wiling to accept and confront in order to achieve my dream job as a doctor. More importantly, I recognize the only thing that stands between me and what I want in life, is the will to try it and the faith to believe it is possible. As I reflect on my past experiences, failures, and challenges the words of my pastor have stuck with me. He said, just as a cake has to remain in the oven for a certain amount of time to be ready to enjoy, we need to stay “in the heat” of the moment long enough to produce a character of richness. With that, we will be able to enjoy the “sweetness” that comes from enduring the “heat.”