I believe in Books

Monica - USA

I believe books give us the opportunity to explore a new world. My mom started working in a library when I was seven. During the summer, she took me there to pick out as many books as I liked to read while I was on break from school. I walked out of the library with my arms filled with books. Adventure, romance, comedy, mystery, a different story and journey with different characters and plots written in each one. At the end of the summer, I came back, my arms filled with the same books, ready to be returned, and my mom looked at me and said, “Look at all the people you’ve met!” and pointed down at the books I was holding.

There are many types of books written and created with words fit for each story; which is fit for each person who holds the book, ready to meet fascinating people, discover new worlds, or give their souls a feeling they cannot create themselves. Reading so much as trained me to become dependent on words. I believe words are the power to all successors. They are the faults to every failure; the miracle to every obstacle; the hate to every war; the love to every heart. Words are the platform to every life. I believe words can take you on a new journey. They can teach you and change you. I believe a book, filled with words, can take a person away from their mundane life to explore a new world. A quote, a line from a movie, or a script from a play can move a person’s soul, break or mend a person’s heart or change their beliefs and morals. We, as humans, hold this power in our hands to speak and write or to create and share our own words; our own stories.

What my mother has said to me has stayed with me every time I finish or pick up a new book. I have met so many new people and visited so many new worlds by reading. I have learned about Paris and New York and even places that took place in the eighteen and nineteen hundreds. I have learned about war and hate, love and miracles. I have learned what it means to succeed and to fail. Not only have books taught me, but I’ve gotten the chance to experience new things in other people’s shoes, such as reading a story narrated by a person of a different race, or different background.

Without the words that so many people have shared with me, I would not be the person I am today. Books have shown me that when my own life gets tough, I can always turn to a book to take me away for an hour or so and then bring me back to reality with a new attitude upon reality. Reading other people’s lessons or beliefs have opened up my mind to new ideas and how I can share what I believe and what I feel. Without books, I would be lost.