There is no one else above you

Briana - land o` lakes, Florida

There are many people that say they have friends. They rave about how their so called “buddies”, are “amazing” and “very dependable”. Then comes the day, when they need somebody to lean on, somone who they can come to for comfort. A friend. But they soon find that the person, to whom they confided in, is no longer who they thought they were. That thier assumptions of the person were wrong. That there is no person to whom they can depend on but themselves.

I believe that there is no one amongst ourselves that we can depend on. That people who we call our friends, do not understand the true definition of friendship. A true friend is a person who will be there for us through the good and the rough patches of life. When you need them, they will do whatever necessary to be at our side to laugh, to cry, and to be our strength throught the pain. According to Aristotle, “a true friend is one soul in two bodies.”. This famous quote states that friends equal each other out. They understand eachother like no one else in the universe. I believe a friend is someone who knows the song in your heart and can sing it bck to you when you have forgotten the words. That is a true friend.

I remember about two years ago, I had asked one of my friends, at the time, to work on a project with me. Our task was to create and plan a vacation itinerary to a certain country. Everything had gon smoothly until about three weeks into our hard work. I constantly questioned “Where is my partner’s half of the work?” and pondered on the thought “What if she hasn’t done her part at all?”. I pushed those disturbing thoughts to the back of my mind until I found the courage to confront her about our problem. When I asked her where her work was, she gave me the answer i expected all along. She had not done any of the tasks and she no onger wanted to work with me. My chances of ever completeing the itinerary on time were very slim. I had less than a week to get it done and I no longer had a friend to turn to for assurance. I had lost hope. Finally, I realized that I was able to finish the project. I may not have had a partner, but i still had myself. And that was all I needed.

“Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great, make you feel that you, too, can become great.” -Mark Twain. As has been stated, no one is going to do anything for you nor is going to be at your side at all times. You can only depend on yourself to do whatever it is you have to do. Friends aren’t always friends in the end. There is only you. This I believe.