If you Believe It You Can Achieve It

Alexandria - St. Louis, Missouri

Many people don’t realize what they are capable of doing, so they never reach their fullest potential. When I first entered high school, I was searching for some activity I could participate in to help me enjoy my four year experience. I looked at everything from cheerleading to football and still was unsure of what I would be good at. One day on my way to class I was approached by a teacher who happened to also be the cross country and track coach. He asked whether I was participating in any sports and would I be interested in running cross country. At that time I had no idea what that sport was and what it consisted of, but since I still didn’t decide upon anything I decided to give it a try. So I showed up for the first day of practice, and found out exactly what cross country was. After my experience that day, I decided to void the ideal of running and just focus on school. Following a few absences from practice, the coach decided to call my house to see if I was still interested in being part of the team. I returned his phone call a few days afterwards and explained to him that I didn’t think I was physically capable of doing that sport. He then offered me the option to return to the team, and if I was to do so he promised to help me improve as much as possible.

After long contemplation, I returned back on the team and with the help of my coach I began to see much progress throughout the season, both physically and mentally. By the end of my second season, my best times averaged around twenty-four minutes for a 5K race. That year was the most successful year of my four years in high school. I concluded that season becoming the Public High League Champion for Women’s Cross Country. That event challenged me to become a member of my school’s track team. That year in track I was on the All-Area team for the 1600m and the 3200m run, and went to state for the 1600m run.

Before this experience, I never thought anything that I have done was possible, and through that I now believe that I am able to excel to higher achievements. I now trust that anybody can become what they dream of becoming. It doesn’t come easy or fast though, you must work hard and trust in yourself that you can succeed. And most importantly know that if you believe you can achieve it.