OTT.thisibelieveessay.rtf

casey - carlisle, Pennsylvania

Some people know exactly who they want to interview when you have an assignment like this. I am one of those people. My mom is an amazing person. She has overcome so much in her life and still some out on top of whatever she is doing. She has been the one that has been there for me from the very beginning and has never given up on me. I interviewed her about her life and asked her for some advice for my future. It was great to her some of her answers and see how we are alike in some ways too. You never really notice your parents as people. You see them as mom and dad, people that take care of me and give me everything they can. You don’t see then as people that had completely different lives before you came into the picture. This let me see how my mom feels about her life up to this point and what she wants for my future.

My mom’s main advice for me for after high school was to take my time and experience everything I possibly can to find my true happiness in life. I always thought since she is so put together and on top of everything she could rule the world. She apparently hasn’t always felt so in control. She sort of let life take her where it wanted her to be instead of following her own dreams. She says she didn’t follow her own advice in her life. She didn’t experience too many things to find her true happiness. She did however find happiness in her two children, me and my older sister. I asked her since she feels she did not take her own advice, what would be different now if she would have? I never really thought about what she said before. If she would have experienced more things she would have had more options later in life. A better job would be an option. A better life would come from that job. A happier family would come from a better life. A happier family might have changed our entre lives forever.

I have known for a while that I am not going to college. I was really starting to worry about what my mom would truly think about that choice seeing as she went to college and my sister is in college. I just do not think it is for me. I am having enough trouble getting through high school. When I did this interview I thought it was a god time to bring up that subject and was happy to hear her answer. She knew all along I did not want college. She said that if I do not go to school after I graduate, her advice would be to find a career that I love and whatever that might be she would support it. The most important thing she wants for me is to be happy as an adult and follow every single dream I have. She just doesn’t want to see me give up on anything. Even if it seems too hard or people are saying I can’t do it she wants me to work hard and get what I want to be happy. Seeing my sister go through school and know exactly what she wants to do when she graduates made me think it was going to be hard to even pick one certain thing to do. My mom rally helped me with this. My sister is going to school to be a police officer. She is getting a criminal justice degree. There are so many jobs in that field that if she changes her mind she can still do something in that field. I can do the same thing with animals! If I train animals or know how to handle them there are many jobs out there helping animals. My mom thinks I would be good at anything that involves helping them.

it was so weird to hear her answer to my next set of questions because it showed me once again how alike we are in some ways. I asked her just some interesting but not so serious questions. One question being: what did you want to be when you were ten years old? She said she wanted to be a veterinarian! I love animals but I had no idea she loved them as much as I do. It was neat to see the connection there. I also asked her how that goal changed from then until now or if it changed at all. She said when she was around twenty years old she wanted to be a psychiatrist. It was something she loved and would also set her on a good financial path in the future to have a family. Since then she has not achieved that goal. She is not grieving over that lost goal however. Right now her goal is a little more simplified. She wants to do everything she can to ensure her family’s happiness. I think she is doing a great job achieving that goal!

Speaking of goals, I asked her what she thinks her best achievement so far has been. It has actually been being able to stay on target with her current goal. She has been able to keep her family happy, be a good mom, and raise two great kids. I also asked her what the worst thing in her life as far as goals go was. She said she is disappointed in herself because she didn’t follow her goal of being a psychiatrist. She would have had a better career and more for her children. She says she should have found a way to make that goal happen along with raising her kids. After hearing that I wanted to know the thought of question of all, WHAT IF? What if you could change one thing in your life, what would it be? Obviously it was the same answer as above. She would like to go back to the future and find a way to become a psychiatrist while having a family at the same time.

Last but not least, I asked her some funny and fun questions about things she wants to do. We made her very own “bucket list”, things she wants to do before she Kicks The Bucket. Five realistic things she wants to do would be to see both her kids happy as adults, continue to advance in her career, build a log home in the mountains, go to Alaska, and enjoy all of that with her kids. Five crazy things she wants to do are drive a motorcycle, go scuba diving, ride a horse on a beach, see wildlife in Alaska, and go on a date with John Travolta. Since we were talking about goals and achieving them I figured I would see if she did any of these crazy ones already. I was surprised to see how close she was to some of them. She rode a motorcycle but not by herself, went snorkeling but not scuba diving, and she rode a horse but not on a beach.

I think the best thing I learned while doing this essay was that my mom is not just a mom. She is a woman trying to do good things in the world and for other people. My mom has feelings and goal like everyone else. I could take some pointers from her when it comes to my future, learn from what she calls her mistakes, and take away a lot more than a grade from this assignment.