God’s healers

Lindsay - Golden Valley, Minnesota

In my first nursing class one of the professors presented a notion to help the students reduce their test taking anxiety. She said,” Nurses are God’s healers.” I could hear the room go quiet and I could feel the serenity extend through every single student sitting in that room. This statement reassured my decision to study nursing and to be apart of a healthcare team.

I want to facilitate others to obtain healthier, safer and comfortable lifestyles through prevention education and assist with clients coping with chronic diseases; specifically geriatrics. After the extraordinary devastation of 911 our lifestyles were changed forever. The economy has continued to deplete, taking away sufficient founds from every family in America and around the world. Studies have shown the first element in all families to be given up is healthcare. This unthinkable trend is on the rise. When healthcare is not present in a family, illness is less likely to be resolved. The end result, death and/or bankruptcy (healthcare expenses). I feel that my generation is responsible for making changes in our society within the health care field. In order to start resolving this dilemma nurses, doctors, dentists, and specialist need to inform the public about primary prevention. Getting the citizens to participate in yearly physical examinations and health promoting activities will decrease future chronic diseases and will decrease healthcare expenses.

I have become so passionate for health care and the people surrounding every aspect of it. Through the guidance of my family I have been given the gift to peruse my career. My family story consists of adoption, disabilities, cultures and a range of age groups. Having such diversities has allowed me to naturally broaden my horizons. My father and mother have taught me to love all people for who they are and where they came from. Growing up as a child it was an unspoken rule to treat the elders of the family with great respect. My grandmother always told stories that occurred throughout her generation, which at hand gives all who listen, a historical incite. With this narration I am able to depict the highlighted points, revise them and put them to good use in my life. Looking back on history allows society to predict the future.

I am committing myself to improving the existence of geriatrics. I have been given the gift to love and care for the elders in nursing homes. After seeing my grandmother in a nursing home and observing the care takers around her, I want to make a change. It hurts me to see and know that the nurses are simply there for a paycheck. Watching stories on the news about abuse cases and misconduct in nursing homes infuriates me. When I begin to ponder the idea of misconduct it tends to hinder my common sense and attitudes towards other areas in nursing. Put yourself in the elder’s shoes, would you want to be treated like nothing in your home? I believe that we are indeed God’s healers.