My Escape

Priscilla - USA

I believe everybody has an escape, a place or object of some sort that grabs at all their emotions just to get away from the every-day worldly things. An escape that someone shares with no one, but enjoys it just as their own. My escape would be a book, but not just any book it would have to be about love. It wouldn’t have to have a happy ending, but an ending that would just surprise you to maybe change the way you think about a certain situation. I want to believe that every book I read I get something out of it, mainly to change my mood, because reading is my escape.

The first book I ever really read and understood was The Magic Tree House. I didn’t exactly know why I chose that book, but after reading it I just loved everything about it. The author made the characters so carefree, and they had an imagination that a person wouldn’t always imagine and that I always wished I could have had. Ever since then I would find myself reading in the oddest of moments. Many people would use alcohol or drugs as their escape, because it numbs all the emotions in the brain, but it wouldn’t be used in a positive way. Sure it would seclude yourself, but in the end all you would become is more abnormal to how you want to escape. I chose never to go in that direction so from then on reading is my therapy. It is something that I could go to when I need to just let go, and to where there would be no interruptions.

After a long night of work, it’s midnight and all I want to do is read. Sitting at the head of my bed, the light is dim, and all I can see is my own shadow. As I break the perfectly sealed page, all that matters to me is the adventure that comes from a couple of sentences. I could barley keep my eyes open and I could finish my book in one night, but I won’t; not because I’m getting tired but because it’s something that I could possibly dream about. When I read I get this sense of relaxation and everything around me doesn’t matter, I don’t mind it because while reading I can just stop thinking. When you read your mind gets put into another person’s lifestyle, and you can somewhat actually think about the way the characters live his or her lives. I read at night because my day was just an ordinary day, to the same routine from putting my left sock on before my right and ending the night with stomach turning smell of McDonalds fries, but when I fall asleep the thoughts in the book remain in my head.

Reading will always be my escape, just like if someone else had a special something that took away all there focus. Hopefully a person can find that escape, because everyone deserves to run away.