The Ending

Cristiana - La Mesa, CA, California
Themes: death

“What of it happens?”

“Then we will die.”

“Do you really think so?”

“I guess we could. Look, Joan, there’s no point thinking about it. You can’t stop it.”

“You don’t have to sound so happy about it.”

“Whatever.” I walked away. Let him worry about whatever he was thinking. I had my suitcase packed. If we died, at least I had my favorite stuff with me.

We had only five people in our house. We usually had more but everyone else felt like they should leave us alone and with them went the cars.

What Joan said wasn’t really bothering me. We could grab our bags and start walking, except that we had no money and safety was at least a hundred miles away.

“Liz, what are you doing? Sona’s calling you.” Everyone was in the house flitting around like birds making a nest.

“I’m looking for Salem, I haven’t seen him all day,” she said.

Our cat was dead; I didn’t want to tell her that so I left her. There was no point in making his life even worse before he died. Our house was already more of a mess than it had already been. Clothes were hanging from the bookshelves. The books were all on the floor. All I could think was how many of these books I may never get the chance to read. Unless someone came to rescue us, we were all going to die. As young as I was, I knew things would not get better. So, I did the only logical thing I could think of. I walked across the house to the balcony looking over the pool and our grand backyard. I went to the balcony and laughed at our demise.

I could run from it, but why die scared? Therefore, while everyone ran frantically inside, I stepped outside and laughed. I laughed while my skin melted. I laughed as death gripped me in its warm embrace.