What I Believe

Dana - Dixon, Illinois

What I Believe

I believe that God helps those who help themselves. That being said, I am not a strongly religious person. I believe in God. I talk to God and believe that he hears all prayers. Some prayers may go unanswered or maybe I haven’t received the answer I wanted. All this really does is make me get up and change what I don’t like about the hand I’ve been dealt. This is what I believe.

I feel that I gained a strong sense of self confidence at an early age. For me, standing up for myself and having the gumption to do what was necessary came from what my father instilled in me. My parents divorced when I was about 10 years old, and I went from being 1 of 5 children to being an only child. I believe that changed a lot about who I am today. My dad taught me to work hard and to be self reliant. That is why I really believe the statement “God helps those who help themselves”. As an adult I have learned that I can choose to let others keep me down or I can choose to rise above them and go on with my life.

I feel that I was first blessed with a man to call my husband when I needed guidance and support in my life. Now I am happily married to my husband of 13 years, Ron. We have been blessed with two children. I have also been blessed with what I consider the best in-laws in the world. I could not ask for more caring and kind people for my children to call their grandparents. My family is a strong support system that makes all things possible.

All this being said the latest hand of cards I have been dealt is the biggest ringer of all. In November 2008, I was given the pink slip from my former employer, along with about twenty co-workers. Boy, was that a shock to my family. I had a decision to make; look for other work or go back to school to learn something new. That being said I have chosen to go into the medical field. I think that this field of work will be more secure than what I have done in the past. I believe that when I have completed my degree, I will have a strong sense of pride and success. I feel that God will look down on me and say now there is a person who helped herself out of an unfortunate situation. It wasn’t always easy, but nothing worth having ever is. As the saying goes when one door closes another door opens. I have started a new chapter in my life; it can only get better from here.