Living Like I Mean It

Amanda - Sterling, Illinois
Themes: carpe diem

Living Like I Mean It

My belief in life is to live for today. I think in order to do this I must do whatever it takes to makes me happy. I will not let schedules stand in my way of chance opportunities. To truly live for today means living like there is no tomorrow.

The biggest thing that makes me happy is taking a step back from everything I have going on in my life. I am happy when I have time to just breathe. When I have a rough day, I like to take time for a bubble bath, maybe even read a book. After a long week of running here and there, my friends and I will head out town to do some fishing.

I think running like clockwork is exhausting. I’m not proud of being late or absent, but I’m proud of the fact that I take advantage of life’s opportunities. I had a doctor appointment this one time, and when I got up that day I realized it was gorgeous outside. The weather in my opinion, was perfect for fishing. I love being out on the lake, so I like to have plenty of time to be there. I decided to cancel the doctor appointment. With my time free, I got to fish on one of the most beautiful days that summer.

The most important reason I feel that I believe in living for today is that tomorrow might not be there. I have lost many friends who were very young, and I feel that to take advantage of life’s opportunities is the best way I can honor them. When my cousin Krystin passed away, I failed to live at all. We were practically sisters. She was only twenty two and had a three year old daughter, so I started to feel that life was very cruel. I failed to miss the bigger picture.

I lost a friend two years ago who was also twenty two. He passed away right before his daughter was born. For some reason, in this moment I got the message. Life is too short, and spending what time I have here being angry about life being so cruel wasn’t going to change a thing. So I have decided to live. Every moment in life is crucial because I don’t know when I’ll be next.

I stand firm in my belief of living like I mean it. I feel that if I let time and schedules dictate everything I did, I would not be as happy of a person that I am. I think I would miss out on many experiences that could help shape who I am. By being a free spirit I feel I am more able to show up for the things I dislike doing in life. This is why I believe in living for today.