Life Changes

Brittany - dixon, Illinois
Themes: setbacks

Life Changes

In January 2008, my life was dramatically changed. Halfway through my senior year, I found out that I was expecting a child. At the time I didn’t have any strong beliefs or commitments, nor did I want any. Throughout my pregnancy my views and beliefs were challenged and, in the end, altered to fit my new lifestyle. I now believe that my son comes first before all other things.

Before my son was born I never wanted anything to do with my family. I didn’t care about them or what they thought about me. We did not see eye to eye and I was basically a stranger living in their home.

I can remember one time back in my partying days when my dad went out of town for the weekend. He left on Friday and came back Sunday afternoon. That Friday night, I lied to my mom and told her I was staying at a friend’s house for the weekend, but really I was staying at my boyfriend’s house. My parents don’t approve of Jon, the guy I that I was dating, because of his age. I thought that I could get away with it since it was just my mom, but I was not expecting my dad to arrive home before I got there. He was mad that I had been gone all weekend and was expecting me to be home by the time that he got back. So, they drove by Jon’s house and saw that my car was in the driveway. My dad called my phone telling me to get home right away. I got home and he started to yell at me with a rage in his voice I never heard, but I didn’t care. I knew that it was going to be another one of those fights about how I was partying too much and that I was a stranger living in his home. I have heard this all before and I didn’t want to hear it again. He said that I was becoming someone he never thought I would become and said that I was a huge disappointment to him. I walked out of the house and didn’t return for the night. I came home the next day and it was like nothing had even happened.

All of this didn’t hurt me or phase me the least bit. I didn’t care about what my parents thought of me or if they were disappointed in me. All I cared about, at the time, were my friends, Jon, and partying. This all changed the day that I found out I was pregnant. I now believe that my son comes first before any aspect in my life. Due to my son, I want to get to know them and I want my son to have a close relationship with them, too.