My Family Is My Focus

Miranda - Mount Morris, Illinois

My Family Is My Focus

The beliefs and approach that I am using in my life is something that I never would have taken so seriously before. When I married and started a family, it changed the way I thought and felt about life. Family to me is now one of the most important things in my life. My family is the reason I get out of bed in the morning, and is what drives me to be a better daughter, wife, and mom. Commitment to my family is a way for me to stay focused and goal-oriented. My family has had a huge affect on me and the choices that I make in my life. They affect the way that I follow through with the issues of my life, the choices that I make in my life, and the confidence to keep moving knowing that they will always be there to support me.

The reason I believe family is important to me is probably the fact that as a kid, family didn’t have much of a meaning. As a kid growing up, my parents divorced and I hardly ever saw my dad. My mom couldn’t afford to keep our house so we were forced to live with my grandparents. After living the kind of life I had as a kid and growing up, I swore to myself that I would never let my family and kids know the same hardship I had.

Myself, like most other wives and moms, want the best for my family. The well-child exams at the doctors’ office are a must. There aren’t many questions that go unasked in the doctors’ office. Making sure that the kids are healthy, and growing properly are some of the things I know I also have to follow through with. Clean clothes, clean teeth, and a clean room are some more reasons I know I definitely need to follow through. If the questions, “Did you brush your teeth this morning?,” or “You put on clean underwear, right?,” are not asked over and over, I’m afraid my kids will forget what to do.

The choices I make in my life are made with my family in mind. One major choice was to go to college and earn a degree. I know this is the best way to help myself and my family. As a kid, my mother worked in factory making just over minimum wage and getting nowhere. Knowing what is was like to have your parent struggle to pay bills and also support her family, I know that is not the same life I want for my family.

My family is always the first thing I think about when making most decisions. Family is the reason I decided to make certain choices and are the reason for most of them. Knowing that my family is always there to support me, helps tremendously. Without my husband and kids I know the world would be a completely different place.