Helping is Key

Michelle - Sterling, Illinois

Helping is Key

Helping is giving assistance to anyone who needs it. I am always looking for ways I can help others. I grew up in a small group of friends and family who would never put themselves first; they were always thinking of others. It has become a way of thinking for me now. I got involved in youth group when I entered high school; it’s a great way to help the community.

One thing that youth group does every summer is to take a mission trip to help the needy. I have been on two trips; they were both amazing trips and were both different kinds of giving to a community in need. In St. Louis, the group I was in was in charge of refurbishing a school to become a learning center. The building was on the rough side of town and it was a disaster. First, Krissy and I first stained all the trim and after staining the trim we moved to the outside. As we were walking, we stumbled upon a side of the building that was a disaster. It had trash everywhere, and overgrown weeds in the cracks. We were determined to clean the side of the building up. We knew people were watching us and we heard them say that we would never get finished and to just give up on it. But we had faith that we would get finished with it. The bystanders never left watching us the whole six hours we worked to clear one side of the building. They saw the determination in our faces and knew we weren’t going to back down. When the week was over the learning center was complete and we were so proud to say that ten high school age students refurbished the building. We went there on the last day for the grand opening; it was tremendous to see how happy everyone in the neighborhood was not only for the learning center but also for our help. They had never seen any group of people care to complete a project like we did and they didn’t think we could do it but we proved them wrong. We now gave the children a safe place to play. As their way of saying thanks to us we each got a stuffed animal to remember them by. This trip helped me to realize that giving a week of my time can make someone else’s life that much better.