Recipe of My Life

Angeline - Dixon, Illinois

Recipe of My Life

Support, strength, sacrifice, and love are what I personally believe to be the recipe of my life. In 2001, my husband and I had been married for over six years, had two beautiful daughters, a nice home, and good paying jobs. I was living what I believed to be the perfect life. On September 11, 2001 my husband decided to join the Army. I supported his decision and dream and told him, “Go for it.” I was unaware of the changes to my perfect life would undergo because of those three little words.

My husband and I had been glued to each other’s hip since we were sixteen and seventeen years old. The thought of him leaving me for four months of training saddened me. In November 2001, I stood and watch an Army Recruiter drive away with my husband. Reality smacked me in the face as the car drove out of sight. “This is really happening,” is all I could say. An instant feeling of loneliness surrounded me and a sea of tears flooded my face, but I knew that I had to be strong for my daughters and for him. I dried my face, got into my car, and drove home. I love my husband, but never knew how deep my love for him really went until that cold November’s day.

Once he returned home from training, we moved to Virginia. There my daughters became depressingly sad due to all the changes they had encountered. So, I quit my new job to be at home with them. My decision to quit my job is a decision I have never regretted sacrificing. I love my daughters more than life itself and this was the least I could do for their happiness.

I lived in Virginia for three years. Within that time, my husband was deployed three times. Once to Germany and twice to Iraq and totaled nineteen months altogether that he was away. While he was gone, I found a level of strength I never thought I had. I became self-confident and independent for the first time in my life and it felt awesome.

After my husband returned from his last deployment, we moved to Texas. There, he deployed again to Iraq. That deployment lasted an entire year and it took every ounce of support, strength, sacrifice, and love I had inside myself to survive it.

Now, I live in Illinois and he is an Army Recruiter. Even though he works incredibly long hours, I do not dwell that negative aspect of the situation; I stay optimistic and true to my belief, because it could always be worse.

My life took some unexpected turns, but I am grateful for the experience because it has made me find a deeper meaning for my life. I never thought I would be a stay at home mom or an Army wife for that matter, but I am and I wear those titles proudly.